The Pump House Center for the Arts is housed in the former Pumping Station of the Chillicothe Water and Sewer Co. It was constructed in 1883 for the distribution of the water from deep wells located in the park to a reservoir situated on Carlisle Hill. In March 1977, the Pump House was placed on the Ohio History Inventory. On November 15, 1979, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places kept by the U.S. Department of Interior
The Pump House was used by the Jaycees groups for its annual Haunted House fundraiser until it was condemned in 1984 as unsafe.
A group of artists, preservationists, and an attoney formed a coalition to restore and preserve the building. In 1986, City Council designated the Pump House as part of the city's Preservation District.
The rooms were transformed into a beautiful art gallery where works could be displayed. The Pump House is an example of Victorian Gothic architecture, featuring a large central tower, Palladian windows, common-bond brick, and a low-pitched, hipped slate roof.